February the month of love begins with us talking to someone who’s take on fashion and life you’ll absolutely fall in love with, international stylist and brand consultant Kanayo Ebi. We caught up with her in New York (where she lives) to get an insight into her fabulous life as a stylist and what pieces from her closet you can get your hands on.
- What do you love most about being a stylist: I love the ability and freedom to be able to create and tell a story and interpret fashion in my own way. I love the FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.
- You have a degree in psychology, how does that play a part in your work with fashion: It plays a major part because style is all about evoking a feeling. Its all about self-expression. Its interpreting a persons emotions or characteristics through clothing. . Let your outfit translate who you are and always add a piece of you in your outfit. That’s why two people can wear the same outfit but it looks right on one person.
- You’ve dressed so many celebrities from Angela Simmons to Kate Winslet. What have been some of your favourite looks from the past: One of my ultimate favourite outfit from Angela would be when she visited Nigeria and I put her in an iro and boba outfit, because it was great to see the culture embraced and transcending worldwide. Also the outfit she wore to the premiere of her WeTV show “Growing up hip hop” I designed with the Nigerian designer Frock it Rock it. There is also the outfit I co-designed for Vanessa Simmons for the VMA’S Award in 2009. The coke campaign/commercial with Diggy, the ANGELA IAM electric daze fashion show for NYFW , Krashae fashion show and lookbooks, and Leona Lewis for NYFW ( that was a moment because I knew I was styling her literally an hour to the show she had to attend lol) ….to name a few.
- What advice would you give to anyone who wanted to become a stylist today: First things first I would say make sure you are doing it for the LOVE of it and nothing else. Truly have a passion and zeal for fashion because if any other motive, it will frustrate and exasperate the heck out of you. the other thing , its all about the Ps, Passion, Patience, Persistence and Perseverance . Its not an easy industry to venture into, like any other career you are going to face a lot of obstacles, hear a lot of No’s and sometimes feel stifled and stagnant but its important that despite those moments to keep going and pull through and find a way to get past those hurdles and keep growing. Its also very important to network and find someone you can work under to learn from. There is so much to the business aspect of fashion people don’t really get to see unless you are in the inside, so its very important to find an internship or mentor that can help with showing you the ropes.
- Are there any fashion apps you can’t live without: GOOGLE and maybe Instagram ( does that count as a fashion app lol ) . I’m not an app person, I guess you can say I am a bit old school when it comes to that but I love to take my time to google different ideas or concepts that comes to mind and discover new and different ideas to invent or reinvent, within the fashion world and google always leads you from one search to another and before you know it you’ve spent hours researching so many different interesting facts. Instagram is great because its “real time” – well supposed to be- So you get to keep up with anything new in the fashion industry, with your favourite designers, discovering new designers and even your favourite style stars and style pages and bloggers , its definitely helpful and useful in that regards for me.
- Who is your favourite designer: My favourite designer across the board would be Ralph Lauren. I love how timeless and versatile his pieces are. You can always pull out a Ralph Lauren piece from any era and it’ll always work. I also love DSQUARED2, Fendi and Balenciaga.
- What are your favourite quotes about fashion: Style” is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style.”- John Fairchild
and “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”- Coco Chanel – I believe these quotes sum up my complete feeling about fashion and style totally.
- If you had to only wear one outfit for the rest of your life what would it be– ahhh that is easy ….busted knee( distressed) jeans, rocker tee, leather jacket and chuck tailors or a pair of adidas gazelles ( I swear in my head I’m a rockstar like Jimi Hendrix’s long lost daughter or like the black Female Axl Rose or something lol)
- Apart from styling we’ve read you like to get involved in other projects, what else are you working on at the moment.- Well for me my passion is in creating, and styling is just one aspect of creating in fashion, so for me I always try not to limit myself, although I like to feel like I have learned and conquered as much as I can in one avenue thoroughly before moving into the next phase. One thing I have learned and appreciate immensely about working in the fashion industry is how much HARD work it is. To the outside world it looks all glitz and glam and just like a pretty career but there is so much thought, care and psychology that goes into creating a magazine, trend-casting, colours for the seasons etc. so I am very careful to not prematurely jump the gun or get way in over my head in a new fashion career path but with that said I am very excited about whats to come for me, working on a couple of different projects. My newly opened showroom for emerging designers is one.-which is a way to give new up and coming designers a platform to grow and showcase their brand via different services offered i.e branding, PR, styling, sales etc. Also working with different brands as Creative Director and also working on developing my own line as well. So like they say the sky is the limit and the opportunities endless and I’m embracing them all as they come with a little leap of faith and passion.
- What is the one tech item you can’t live without: My phones. It used to be my blackberry. I was one of those couldn’t live without a blackberry feign but now that it’s not compatible with a lot of apps had to let it go. So just my phones in general ( I have 2 phones-work and personal)
- What is the one handbag you can’t live without: Wow thats a tough one its like having to choose between one of your kids lol…hmmm right now I would say my Balenciaga A4 Papier zip around bag. Its such a classic carry all, light, expandable and makes the perfect city/travel bag. -and my Louis Vuitton City trunk PM bag… ( totally obsessed with this classic shrunken reinvention of the classic LV Trunk ).. I’m such a rebel choosing 2 instead of one …its just soo hard lol.
12. What are the one pair of shoes you can’t live without: Again making me choose!!!! ughhh lol… I will say right now I am an adidas fanatic so would be the Adidas Gazelles. They are such all purpose sneakers, can wear with anything and perfect for city runs and travel.I am a typical NYC GIRL- all about convenience.
Adidas Gazelles available to bid on HERE
What bargain do you wish you had snagged on U-Wantit.com– ahhhh the PS4 Slim for £1.23…totally would have been a great snag…NEXT TIME definitely !!! **hint hint** – to Bring it back.
You can find out more about Kanayo on her website www.kachmeifyoucan.com and her instagram is always filled with fashion tips and inspirational quotes @kachmeifyoucan so check it out.
The PS4 Slim is now back up with only a few remaining bids, don’t miss it!